Take a moment to read through these so that when they come up in the course of our search you will have a checklist of questions to ask:
1. What is the neighbourhood like? Are there certain area features that would affect the value of this property in the future?
2. What are the prices of the homes that have sold most recently in the area? Is this house compatible?
3. What are the realty taxes on the home?
4. What are the utility costs? (especially hydro if the home is electrically heated)
5. How far do I have to travel for schools, shopping and recreational facilities?
6. How close am I to Public Transit?
7. What home repairs have been made in the past two years? ( in particular – roof, windows…if no repairs have been done, how old are they?)
8. How old is the furnace and the air conditioning system?
9. Are there problems with drainage or runoff in the spring or after a heavy rain?
10. Does the basement show any signs of moisture? Can it be fixed simply by cleaning/repairing the eaves trough or is it a more serious problem?
11. Is there a recent survey conducted by an accredited land surveyor that shows all of the buildings and additions on the property, and that shows all setbacks?
12. Did the property have a home inspection done when the present owners bought it? Could you check to see what major and minor problems there were? Does the vendor have a list of those problems that were fixed?
13. Is there any important information in the disclosure document?
14. Are there any utility easements or encroachments on the property?
15. Are there any environmental concerns within the surrounding area?
back to top